In February, 1886, W. L. Libbey and Son, as proprietors of the New England Glass Company, licensed Hobbs, Brockunier and Company of Wheeling, West Virginia, to manufacture “pressed Amberina.” Hobbs, Brockunier and Company produced Amberina in the “Hobnail Diamond Pattern, under the Libbey Patent, in a great variety of shapes and articles” according to their advertisements in the Crockery & Glass Journal dated March, 1886.
The “Hobnail Diamond Pattern,” listed in the Wheeling firm’s trade catalogues as “No. 101 Pattern,” is better known to present-day collectors as “Daisy and Button.” Shards of several pressed glass patterns, including “Daisy and Button Amberina,” have reportedly been dug up at the site of the Boston & Sandwich Glass Works on Cape Cod. Many of these patterns are known to have been produced in glass factories a considerable distance away from Sandwich. In view of this, serious researchers and collectors continue to have reservations about the validity of Sandwich’s claim to pressed “Daisy and Button Amberina.”
Scotney & Earnshaw of London, England, registered design No. 64088, the “Daisy and Diamond Pattern,” on December 22, 1886. This firm was listed in the Pottery Gazette Diary under, “Agencies for Foreign Manufacturers” from 1884 to 1901, and specialized in the wholesale distribution of “American tumblers.” Many pieces of “Daisy and Diamond” pressed glass – crystal, colored, and Amberina – have been found bearing Scotney and Earnshaw’s registry number, and since Scotney & Earnshaw were not glass manufacturers we attempted to discover who actually made these wares. Unfortunately the records in the London Patent Office did not contain this information, but we did find a link between Scotney & Earnshaw and Hobbs, Brockunier & Company which leads us to believe that the South Wheeling glassworks made articles in the “Daisy and Diamond Pattern” for export.
A transparent, homogeneous glassware shading from pale amber to a delicate rose tint in the reheated portions of the article was press-molded by the firm of Cristalleries de Baccarat of France. Known to collectors as “Baccarat’s Amberina” it was introduced by that firm in 1916 and catalogues illustrating such wares were distributed to the trade and the public at large that same year. Baccarat’s “Rose Teinte’ ” made another appearance in 1940 when the firm again produced their beautiful shaded glassware.
The greater portion of Baccarat’s Rose Teinte’ was pressed in their three major designs – helical twist, pinwheel and laurel – in a vast amount of boudoir accessories, vases, bowls, tablewares, stemware, tumblers, decanters, candlesticks, chandeliers and a host of useful household, and decorative articles. Large, low-footed compotes were made especially for the Turkish market.
The marks “Baccarat” and “Depose” found on this ware refer to the designs which the firm of Baccarat patented, rather than to the formula or method of production used to manufacture this sensitive shaded ware. The glass is very similar to the Amberina and Rose Amber wares made by the New England Glass Company and the Mt. Washington Glass Works. The amount of gold salts dispersed throughout the amber glass melt was much smaller than that used by the American factories, hence the rather pale rose tints in the reheated portions of the article.
Baccarat also produced a sensitive, homegeneous glassware shading from opaque white to opaque rose in the developed portions of the article. It resembles in every particular the coloring of the New England Glass Works’ “Wild Rose” Peach Blow glassware. Baccarat’s shaded white to rose opal wares were pressed in the same molds used for their “Rose Teinte’, and they were contemporary with this glassware. The shaded rose to white opal glassware was also marked “Baccarat” and “Depose” in small block letters somewhere on each article or a part thereof.